Med student life can be pretty busy. First you gotta wake up early for ward rounds (especially them surgical ward rounds) then long hours of ward work/tutes/studying which can all be super overwhelming.
So sometimes you might feel when you go home and you just want to sleep. But not to fear, no one will be skipping meals when you can make delicious healthy dinner within 15 minutes. Below is a tortilla recipe of my own when I feel like eating something that stimulates the taste buds but I want to keep things simple. These tortillas are packed with carbohydrates, fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals that will not only keep you full in the tummy but full of energy the next day.
Serves: 6 tortillas
- (If you want to make double the quantity to eat for tomorrow’s dinner – double the amount of minced beef, onion, tomato and lettuce)
Duration: 15 minutes
Difficulty: easy peasy
250g of minced beef
1/2 can of broad beans
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
1tablespoon of mixed herbs
Optional ingredients: corn, carrots, capsicum or anything else you like
- Dice the tomato and lettuce. Leave these on a plate which will be your salad plate.
- Heat up some oil in a small pot.
- Slice the onion and cook the onion in the small pot until almost golden
- Add the minced beef – stir until cooked.
- Mix broad beans into the pot.
- Add tomato paste + mixed herbs then season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Heat the tortillas (20 seconds in the microwave should do the trick)
- Assemble your tortillas with the beef mixture, salad, cheese and salsa.
- Everything is ready for you to roll and eat! Enjoy!