On the 27th of May, a group of budding bakers who are enthusiastic about helping beat cancer made delicious treats for the Cancer Council’s Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea. Our Monash Medical Centre, Bendigo and Cabrini Hospital sites were all able to host morning teas and bake sales.
Together, the three sites raised a collective $420.40, which can go towards paying an overdue bill for a family who hasn’t been able to work. The events were a fabulous success, and the MUMUS C&W team would like to thank all those who contributed baked goods, helped manage the stalls, and of course, bought some cakes and brownies for themselves!
Biscuit 175g unsalted butter, softened 1/4 cup icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup plain flour, sifted 1/4 cup cornflour, sifted
Lemon Filling 75g unsalted butter, softened 1 cup icing sugar, sifted 3 teaspoons lemon juice 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind Optional: 6-12 raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Mix the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract with an electric mixer, until the butter is pale and fluffy.
3. Add the sifted flour and cornflour to the butter mixture, and beat with a mixer until a smooth dough has formed.
4. Using the palms of your hands, roll teaspoons of the dough into rounds and place onto the baking tray. The biscuits will spread as they cook, so leave about 2 cm between each biscuit round. This recipe roughly makes 12 melting moments, but try to make an even number of biscuits.
5. Flatten each round slightly using a lightly floured fork. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. For quicker cooling, place wire racks into the fridge.
6. To make the lemon filling, place the butter, icing sugar, lemon juice and rind into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy.
7. Spread the filling onto the underside of cooled biscuits. You may also like to put a whole or half raspberry in the middle of the lemon icing. Sandwich the other biscuit half on top. (You can also choose to pipe the filling on with a star piping tip! I recommend Wilton 1M)